Hospital Release Information
Can I take my placenta home from a hospital?
Yes, there is no law that says you cannot take your placenta home. Do not let anyone tell you its not possible.
What do I need to do ahead of time?
Before the birth of your baby (and placenta) you will want to let you care provider know that you wish to keep your placenta. Remind them of your wishes as your due date approaches. Write your wishes in your birth plan.
Ask if you care provider is familiar with the hospital’s release policies and ask them ahead of time for any release forms. Sign a copy of the form and make sure a copy is kept on file with your care provider.
What should I do when I am admitted?
As soon as you arrive, ask your care provider to write on your chart that you wish to keep your placenta and that it will be released to you. If you are given any paperwork that mentions retaining products of conception, care of afterbirth, or products of birth, be sure to write “ I DO NOT consent” on these forms.
What do I do with the placenta once it is released to me?
Have your birth partner or birth assistant to place your placenta in a cooler on ice.
What if I am having a birthing center or home birth?
If you are having a home birth you do not need to worry about a hospital release form, however I do recommend that you find out which hospital you will go to in case of an emergency. We can then have the release information ready and available in case something happens.
Local Hospitals and Their Current Policies:
Cedar Park:
Cedar Park Regional Medical Center - No holding period. You will sign a release of liability form. They do not like to store placentas at the hospital and prefer they go home immediately.
Round Rock:
Scott and White - No holding period. You will sign a release of liability form. They will store it until your relase
St. David’s Round Rock - Requires a court order, however, you won’t need one if I encapsulate your placenta
Austin:
Seton South - 72 hour holding period. You will sign a release of liability form.
Seton Main - 72 hour holding period. You will sign a release of liability form.
St. David’s Main - Requires a court order, however, you won’t need one if I encapsulate your placenta
North Austin Medical Center - Requires a court order, however, you won’t need one if I encapsulate your placenta
Georgetown:
Georgetown hospital - No holding period. Only a funeral home can pick up the placenta.
Killeen:
Seton Medical Center Harker Heights - 72 hour holding period. You will sign a release of liability form.
Bethany Loper
512-986-7843
www.abreathtakingbeginning.com
bethany@abreathtakingbeginning.com
